Sick Building Syndrom is a condition affecting office workers, typically marked by headaches and respiratory problems, attributed to unhealthy or stressful factors in the working environment such as poor ventilation.
Almost everyone occasionally feels unwell because they are suffering from one or more common symptoms of discomfort such as headaches, dry throat or sore eyes. But there are occasions when, for no obvious reasons, people working in particular buildings experience these sorts of symptoms more often than is usual. The symptoms tend to increase in severity with time spent in the building and improve over time or disappear away from the building. This is often described as Sick Building Syndrome.
The main symptoms associated with Sick Building Syndrome are:
- dry or itchy skin or skin rash;
- dry or itchy eyes, nose or throat;
- headaches, lethargy, irritability, or poor concentration.
- stuffy or runny nose;
The following factors may contribute to SBS:
- Poor air quality, high CO2 levels
- Air quality, including ventilation, outdoor air supply and air movement
- Air conditioning
- Lighting (particularly the type and positioning which cause high glare and flicker)
- Low level of user control over ventilation, heating and lighting
- Poor design and maintenance of building management systems (BMS).
- High temperature or excessive variations in temperature during the day
- Very low or high humidity
Clarkson Controls will be able to improve the performance of your building so you can create and maintain a healthy and comfortable environment, ie provide fresh air; create and maintain a comfortable temperature and humidity improve air quality CO2 levels.